I know what you’re thinking after reading a headline like that – who could resist reading this post?! Or wow, she is so good at catchy titles! Precisely. Thanks for the compliment.
So lately I’ve become a bit obssessed with brussels sprouts – cooking them, ordering them, eating them, thinking about them. If you’ve been over for dinner lately, I’ve probably served you some brussels sprouts. I dont know what it is but I have just fallen in love with these delicious little nuggets. So in honor of my mildly creepy addiction I thought I would share 10 fun facts about them in the hopes that you will get on this bandwagon too.
1. They originate in Brussels (Belgium). You’re just as shocked as I am by this news, right?
2. There’s a game called brussel sprouts that I do not understand one bit, but that people like to play. With a pencil. Strange.
3. Brussels sprouts (the food, not the game) are good for ya! Packed with Vitamin A, C, Folic Acid and Fiber.
4. Most of the US’s production of them are right here in my home state – California. Neat-o.
5. I used to hate them. Yep. Like would have to stay at the dinner table until I finished them but fell asleep instead from sitting so long hate them. I’ve come so far.
6. I musta been a pretty smart kid because brussel sprouts are the most hated vegetable in the U.S. Why such a bad rap mr. sprout?
7. They only smell bad when you overcook them. You know – that smell. That gross smell that reminds you of brussel sprouts.
8. Drizzling bacon or bleu cheese on them fresh out of the oven when they’re nice and crispy makes them oh-so-much-better.
9. They’re one of the easiest vegetables to make! Literally – I toss them in olive oil, salt, pepper (ok lots of salt and pepper), put in the oven at 350 for 25-30 minutes and voila – crunchy, crispy, chip like heaven. Check out my pictures below from dinner this week.
And the final fun fact about brussel sprouts? Ok I ran out of facts, but maybe #10 could be that you’re going to try them if you already haven’t?
Yep. They’re good. I’m telling you! Go on and get yourself some today before the season is over my friends.